Friday 13 August 2010

Friday the 13th

Well, it's mostly over now but it started with foreboding. My girlfriend is superstitious about certain things. I try to be strong and stand against this nonsense but I'm not very good at being strong so she still goes along with a lot of it. She has, however, stopped saluting magpies. Anyway, for the past few days she's been dreading today and was convinced that something bad would happen. Me being me just laughed. So far, nothing has happened, but I must admit, I've been half expecting something nasty to appear. Which bothers me. I'm rational. I have no belief in predestination, nor fate. So why do I feel uneasy ?
It could be because we had a heads up yesterday that something bad could be about to happen. Something from the past had reared its ugly head and could bring some trouble our way. So I've been waiting for that to materialise. Since there's been no more word, I'm hoping it was a storm in a teacup. The day's events have actually been quite pleasant. We've had a leisurely morning, followed by a walk round the mountain, and I've been cooked a fantastic steak meal. I might go and chop some gorse shortly to bring down the blood sugars that are no doubt rising alarmingly. Or we could stroll up the road and pick a few blackberries. Either way, I think I have some ammunition in my war against superstition. Touch wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment